Role: Text & Chat Counselor
Reports to: Crisis Services Manager of Digital Crisis Workers
We are hiring for the following shift:
Evenings/Overnights (7:30pm - 3:00am PST / 10:30pm - 6:00am EST)
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
A Text & Chat Counselor is primarily responsible for supporting LGBTQ youth on TrevorChat and TrevorText, our digital crisis intervention and suicide prevention service. Crisis worker shifts can be done from any private location with a strong, secure and reliable internet connection, including your home.
Please note: Because the Text & Chat Counselor role is mission-critical to our organization and because we employ a large number of these positions, we interview for this role even when we don’t have a currently open position. Candidates who complete the interview process will be added to our Eligibility List and we will reach out to you when a position becomes available. Our Recruiters will share more details about the process during the initial phone screen and will keep in close touch throughout the interview process.
Who you are
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day.
- Resilient. You’re someone who can maintain compassion for our LGBTQ youth, and aren’t easily rattled by high-stress situations. You can thrive in a crisis care setting and know how to employ positive self-care and coping skills to keep you strong and engaged.
- Empathetic. You care about the well-being of LGBTQ youth, and respect those around you regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and physical ability.
- Organized and efficient. You know how to manage multiple cases and reports. You can communicate clearly and concisely and are able to work with minimal supervision.
- Flexible. Our crisis services programs are 24/7, so we need life-savers who are willing and able to work 7:30pm - 3:00am PST/ 10:30pm - 6:00am EST.
- Strong communicator. Crisis counseling will be done entirely in writing through our chat and text platform and most interactions with your coworkers will be over email and instant messaging. Excellent, fast, and nuanced written communication is crucial.
- Self-starter. You hold yourself accountable, you embrace challenges, and you’re comfortable with ambiguity. You understand the impact of our work and that’s enough for you to do your best work at all times.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you'll do
- Provide crisis intervention counseling to LGBTQ young people nationwide via chat and text
- Build trust and provide a safer space for youth to explore issues surrounding sexuality, gender identity and suicidal ideationSuccessfully complete 3 weeks of mandatory training for Trevor’s digital crisis services
- Engage with multiple youth at once via our world class chat and text platform
- Commit to a minimum of 35 hours per week of crisis conversation time and 5 hours of meetings and admin.
- The schedule for this position will require you to work on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and you will receive two consecutive days off during the week. You will also be expected to work on certain holidays.
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance, including coverage for various gender affirmation surgeries (and we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life)
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet reimbursement and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the next Text & Chat Counselor at The Trevor Project!