Role: Financial Audit & Compliance Manager
Reports to: Senior Director of Finance & Administration
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The Audit & Compliance Manager will play a key role in supporting the continued growth of The Trevor Project as we seek to achieve our ambitious strategic plan. Reporting to the Senior Director of Finance and Administration, the Audit & Compliance Manager serves as the primary owner of The Trevor Project’s global audit activities (financial, retirements, and government audits across the US and Mexico), tax preparation (federal and state) and enterprise risk efforts.
Who you are
- Expert. You have a track record of performing and leading audits. You should also have accounting technical knowledge, specifically with revenue recognition and ideally in nonprofit accounting. Experience with ERM and establishing internal controls is also ideal.
- Project Management: You have the ability to receive an end goal and end date, then fill in the missing iterative steps that are needed to reach the goal.
- Numbers Person. You love numbers so much that you studied them. You have a solid understanding of business and accounting, ideally with letters like CPA after your name to show for it (though not required).
- Innovative. You are someone who seeks process improvement and can creatively think of ways to automate and streamline processes.
- Self-Starter. You take the initiative on various tasks, are comfortable asking questions, and you are a valuable contributor to a team.
- Organized and Efficient. You establish clear, consistent processes to stay organized and ensure all projects remain on-pace, especially through the use of Google Suite applications.
- Detail Oriented. You have a high level of precision and accuracy in reviewing dense documents and extracting key insights.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you'll do
- Implement financial audit processes to optimize audit speed and effectiveness
- Act as primary point of contact to our auditors and internal stakeholders for all audit-related and tax preparation engagements, which includes updating auditors, coordinating meetings and audit interviews, and requesting documentation
- Lead, co-create, implement and evaluate a project management process for future audits
- Perform internal control assessment and testing, including both the design of controls and operating effectiveness of controls
- Lead the effort of addressing any audit findings, and ensure that there are appropriate and sufficient internal controls to avoid audit findings in the future
- Establish written policies, procedures and process narratives for key processes of the organization and update them as necessary
- Maintain appropriate recordkeeping of audit and internal control documentation
- Identify and engage key stakeholders to ensure collaboration around audits and compliance
- Assist in establishing an Internal Audit function, which may evolve to include operational audits
- Assist in establishing an Enterprise Risk Management process, which will ensure we detect and address strategic and operational risks
- Detect and implement changes required by new accounting regulations
- Manage and coach team members to ensure high-level performance
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer.
- Comprehensive health insurance, including coverage for various gender affirmation surgeries (and we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life)
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet reimbursement and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team.
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform.
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day.
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer.
- Other tasks, duties, or special projects as assigned
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the next Audit & Compliance Manager at The Trevor Project!