Role: Director of Research Projects
Reports to: Vice President of Research
Hours: Full time
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The first-ever Director of Research Projects will oversee our growing portfolio of research projects. This includes our ground-breaking annual National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health and our upcoming International Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health. Additionally this person will manage upcoming research projects, including polling initiatives and analysis of our internal data. The Director of Research Projects will supervise our Research Managers who, along with our Research Associates, will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of each research project. The Director of Research Projects will also work closely with our Research Science team to ensure that data from our research projects serve to dramatically expand the body of research on LGBTQ youth mental health. They will work with the Vice President of Research to ensure that research projects are properly staffed, follow all ethical guidelines, provide impactful output, and are completed within target timeframes.
Who you are:
● Experienced. You have an extensive track record of research in the fields of suicidology and mental health or in the field of LGBTQ youth (and preferably both). You have managed multiple large-scale research projects from start to finish.
● Credentialed. You have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in a relevant field.
● Role model and leader. You are a dedicated mentor and compassionate leader for your staff and colleagues alike. You have experience managing people and tasks (including remotely) and can inspire others to do their best work.
● Analytical. You have significant quantitative research experience and can conceptualize and interpret complex analyses.
● Builder. You’re someone who thinks strategically. You know how to set an ambitious research agenda and focus resources to push our research capabilities even further.
● Results-focused. You set clear timelines and drive projects to completion. You know that completing shareable outputs is the key to having a significant impact.
● Compelling Communicator. You communicate clearly and concisely and are comfortable identifying and reaching out to relevant stakeholders outside of the organization to build productive research collaborations.
● Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
● Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
● Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you’ll do:
● Manage and develop a team of Research Managers who will carry out high-impact research projects and oversee our Research Associate staff
● Lead the development and execution of The Trevor Project’s Research Projects strategy in conjunction with the leadership team. You will prioritize key research topics and determine whether they should be carried out by Trevor Project staff or with external research partners or vendors
● Effectively prioritize across multiple short- and long-term projects and direct the efforts of others across work streams
● Appropriately determine available resources, set realistic time estimates, and evaluate the success of ongoing and new research projects
● Coordinate internally between teams to ensure accountability, strategic alignment, and results
● Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
● Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
● Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend, and reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
● Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
● Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
● The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
● Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day